How To Create And Submit Sitemap To Google Search Console
When you create a website, One of the most common but important queries raised by newbie bloggers is how to list a website in popular search engines like Google, Bing etc.
So in this guide, we shall deal with: What is Sitemap and How to Submit Sitemap to Google search console for indexing of your blog?
Many of the newbie bloggers may not aware that your website can be indexed and showed in Google search results in just 24 hrs.
Google Search Console is a tool which let you control your website from Search engine perspective. Google Webmaster is a free tool offered by Google.
Before be able to submit the sitemap, you need to verify your site in Google. Here is my Guide on how you can verify your site in Google Search Console.
Most important thing is to submit your site to Google by submitting sitemap in Google webmaster tools.
Now let us proceed.
What is a Sitemap?
A sitemap is a .xml file that contains all the URLs inside your blog and is a list of pages to which all users are accessible.
A sitemap is a way to tell search engines about the pages that exist on your website and the complete index of your blog which search engine bots see.
It helps better crawl and index your website. To learn more please refer to this wiki article.
Many tools are available for creating sitemap both online and plugins. Online tools mainly for normal websites and Plugins especially for WordPress blogs.
Online Tool: XML- Sitemap Generator
How To Generate Sitemap For WordPress Blog?
Sitemap in WordPress can be generated by using different plugins. You can choose any one of the following plugins:
- Google XML Sitemap Generator Plugin.
- Better WordPress Google XML Sitemap Plugin
- Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin: If you have Yoast WordPress SEO plugin installed then you can use its XML Sitemap functionality.
Recommended Reading: Guide to Setup Yoast WordPress SEO plugin.
How to Submit Your Blog Sitemap to Google Search Console
Submitting sitemap to Google webmaster tools means submitting your site to Google. To be able to submit your site to Google you must verify your site in Google search console.
Assuming you had verified your site in Google, now we shall proceed with the tutorial. You must have your site sitemap link.
If you have used any offline tool to generate the sitemap for your site then you must firstly upload your sitemap file to root of your site like /sitemapindex.xml or /sitemap.xml. You can also check BroughtMeUp
You can also check BroughtMeUp Sitemap. Now let us move on:
- Firstly, Login to your Google Webmaster Tool dashboard, in left-hand side you will see under crawl drop down option click on "Sitemaps".
- To submit, Click on "Add/Test Sitemap"
- After you will be asked to Provide the URL of your Site Sitemap that you have generated. Assuming the URL looks like http://www.yoursitename.com/sitemapindex.xml, paste only sitemapindex.xml part of the link and click on "Submit Sitemap". Please refer to the below screenshot for better understanding.
- After you submit then a message will appear confirming the submission and you will be asked to Refresh the page, just click on it to "Refresh the page".
If you are submitting the sitemap for a new site or blog, then it may take some time for you to see the index status of your site.
Once You can check the details like type of sitemap, processed date, items, errors associated, how many URLs submitted and how many URLs Google have indexed.
Now we are done with submitting with creating and submitting the sitemap to Google.
The bottom line is:
"Submitting site to Google is a must for organic traffic and search engine rankings."
Few More Things I want You Do Right Now:
- Follow the guide for submitting the sitemap to Bing webmaster Tools.
- Submit and claim your site on Alexa.
- Share this Guide on Facebook and Twitter.
- Share your views.
See you in the comments section!