How To Submit And Claim Your Website On Alexa
Submitting website to Google and Bing is most important for the performance of any website. And one should submit a site to other places also and Alexa is one of them. Here is a tutorial on how to submit website to Alexa. You must have realized that we talk a lot about Alexa and mostly about Alexa rank of a website.
Alexa is one of the top websites that ranks websites globally and shows various and important ranking factors like Global Rank, Country based rank, search term query and more such important details. Despite a controversy regarding Alexa ranking of a website, Alexa is considered as best website ranking tool and the first thing almost everyone tries to know about a website is Alexa rank for that particular website.
Alexa automatically picks a new domain name itself but it is always better to submit website to Alexa and claim your website ownership so that you can add more details to your website Alexa profile. I think we need to get a good listing and ranking on Alexa as it influences website performance and quality in readers eyes. Now lets us start with the tutorial on how to submit website to Alexa and also how you can claim website on Alexa.
Guide To Submit Website/Blog To Alexa
Firstly lets us start with the submission of website or blog to Alexa. please follow these below steps:
- Go to Alexa and click on a new account to create a new account by entering your Email Id and click on create. Now to proceed further you firstly need to verify your email address by clicking on the confirmation link in the email inbox that you have used.
- Once you click on the confirmation link you will be redirected to Alexa password management page and on this page, you need to set a password for your account.
- Now you will be redirected to Alexa dashboard and with this, your are finished with creating the account.
- When you click on “certify your site metrics“, a pop-up will open which says:
Certified Site Metrics are metrics that are directly measured from the website instead of estimated. The website owner has installed an Alexa Certify Code on the pages of their site and chosen to show the metrics publicly.
For the website owner Certified Metrics provide:
A more accurate Rank
A private metrics Dashboard for On-Site Analytics
The ability to publish unique visitor and page view counts if desired
Certified Metrics are available with all Alexa Pro plans.
- Click on “Plans and Pricing” and you will see an option below plans and pricing which says:
”You can create basic site comparisons or claim a site with a free Alexa account.”
- Click on “Claim a site” but make sure you are signed into your Alexa account.
Now you will see three option to verify your site ownership on Alexa.
Method 1 Upload an Alexa verification file to your site’s root directory
Method 2 Add an Alexa Verification ID to your homepage
Method 3 Certify your site’s metrics.
Method 3 Certify your site’s metrics is only available in Alexa pro plan not in the basic or free plan. Alexa offers many plans and pricing, but for a normal blog I would recommend a free plan to start with but if you want you can choose any of the paid plans. You can check plans and pricing details here. And if you want to verify using site’s metrics method, just click on Upgrade and you will be redirected to Alexa Pro plan page, just sign up for the plan you want.
Now we will look at the steps to claim site which is available for a basic or free plan for site verification in Alexa for successful claiming of a website.
Steps for Claiming Site in Alexa[su_note]Update: Claiming site at Alexa has been retired. You can no longer claim site on Alexa. For more information check visit their support page. https://support.alexa.com/hc/en-us/articles/219135887-Claiming-has-been-retired-May-2016[/su_note]
To claim a site in Alexa you can either upload a file or add a meta tag to complete with claiming your site in Alexa. Personally, I would recommend using method 2 i.e Add an Alexa verification id to your home page or add the meta tag in the header section of your website.
Meta tag example: <meta name=”alexaVerifyID” content=”XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”>
Now lets us see how you can add the meta tag to your website for claiming your site and verifying site ownership.
- Insert Headers And Footers Plugin: Download and activate Insert Headers And Footers Plugin. after activation. Go to Settings >Insert Headers and Footers and paste the meta tag in the header field and click on save settings. Once you are finished go back to Alexa Verification page and click on verify my ID.
- Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin: Download and install Yoast WordPress SEO plugin. Once you are finished with the installation in the left plane Go to SEO> Dashboard, Under Webmaster Tools you will see option “Alexa Verification ID” just paste your meta tag here and click on save settings.Once you are finished go back to Alexa Verification page and click on verify my ID.
- All In One SEO Pack Plugin: Download and install All In One SEO pack plugin. Once you are finished with activating this plugin Go to Settings > All In One SEO and under “Additional Home Readers” paste meta tag into the text area. Go back to Alexa Verification page and click on verify my ID.
Adding Meta Tag In Header.php
You can also verify your site ownership by adding the meta tag to header.php file of your theme. To verify using this method edit header.php file of your theme and place meta tag after <Head> but before first <body> section. Once you are finished go back to Alexa Verification page and click on verify my ID.
Once You Click on Verify my ID a success message will appear as “Your site is successfully claimed.”
Now we are finished with submitting site to Alexa and also with claiming site in Alexa. So lets us add some more important details regarding the website. To edit site listing My dashboard section in your Alexa account. and from the site management drop down list select Edit site listing as in the screenshot. You will be redirected to edit your site details like site name and site description, the site owner, address public email and the country for ranking. But in free Alexa account , there are some limitations like you can’t add your site logo and links. But I would recommend going with free Alexa account as I am not sure if premium listing will have any major SEO advantage.
That’s all and we are done with the tutorial on how to submit website or blog to Alexa. Here are some more articles to help you to submit your site to some other places:
Do Let Me Know If You Find This Guide Helpful. If You Enjoy The Article, Don’t Forget To Share It On Facebook and Google Plus and do Subscribe For Updates. For questions and feedback please leave a comment.